Monday, December 21, 2009

Inglourious Basterds in Glorious Film

This evening, for the second time in two days, I watched Inglourious Basterds. I have to say, that is one fucking awesome movie.

It seems, like with any Tarantino film, people either hate it or love it. I love it. As for those who hate it, I keep hearing the same complaints: "It wasn't historically accurate!" (Did you even read the title of the film?), "It was unnecessarily violent!" (It's a WAR movie!), "It was just Pulp Fiction with Nazis!" (And why is that a bad thing?). I do have to admit, the film pretty much shits in history's face. But to be honest, I much prefer Tarantino's much more positive (ironically), and entirely fictional, recounting of World War II.

I could go on and on about the aspects of the film that made it a truly triumphant piece of cinema, or I could do what I always do and give you a rundown on what makes it worth watching.

So, here's the deal: I'm not going to number this. I'm just going to come out and say it: the accents were fucking HOT. The German accents? Naughty! The British accents? Erotic! The French accents? Sexy! Brad Pitt's accent? ORGASMIC! For anyone fond of linguistics and language, this is the film for you. It offers up several sexy speaking selections while still incorporating English.

Alright, I may have gotten slightly overenthusiastic about the accents (particularly Brad's), but many women are slaves to sexy accents. And I admit that I'm no different. The bassy (not a word, I know) quality of Gedeon Burkhard's (aka Wilhem Wicki's) voice was a huge turn-on in itself, but paired with that German accent? Good lord, I need a minute.

Burkhard's wasn't the only voice that sent me into conniptions. I've already mentioned Pitt (aka Aldo Raine, aka Aldo the Apache) so I won't go into detail there. What really got me with this film, though, was the deadly combination of deep, smooth, sexy voices and some of the sexiest accents in the world. Hell, even without the accents I would have been head-over-heels for Burkhard. That is one sexy, sexy voice. Same with Denis Menochet (aka Perrier LaPadite).

Man, this post is quickly devolving into a giant list of men I find sexy. And while that may be interesting to me, it's certainly not entertaining for anyone without a vagina.

Another reason I was drawn to Tarantino's latest epic was the casting of Til Schweiger as Hugo Stiglitz. That's probably not the name most people toss around when talking about fantastic casting, but for fans of SLC Punk!, Schweiger is plenty awesome. I'll save my gushing over SLC Punk! for another time, but suffice it to say, it's fucking epic.

If you've been reading this entry hoping for some revelation about the film's content or the messages it probably sends, you're expecting too much for 4:30 a.m. The lesson here is simply that women love accents. Take a girl you like to a movie with lots of sexy accents. You might just get lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment